How do you personally manage information overload?
Information overload means a few things to me i.e.:
- Being in full day meetings/ courses/ seminars that makes my brain feel saturated, ‘full’ or ‘overloaded’.
- Getting tons of emails, work chat notifications, WhatsApp notifications, social media notifications all at the same time.
- Receiving negative emotions that come along with the information.
To manage this, I do 2 parts:
A) Minimize information that is coming in:
- Turn off all notifications: In my line of work, I do not need to be instantly aware of what’s happening on social media. Hence, I’ve completely turned off all social media notifications and muted all WhatsApp notifications on my phone.
- Keep the phone out of sight: I’d put the phone in my bag or in another room – so that I don’t get this visual cue to check my phone. I mainly check it after work. Or sometimes during lunch and after work.
- Block out focus time: I’d block out some focus time in my calendar so that I can work without interruption. I also adjust the focus time according to my energy levels.
B) Dealing with information overload:
- Take notes: During the meeting, course, seminar etc., I’d make it a point to understand the key takeaways and note them down. After writing it down, it signals my brain to relax and tells it that there is no need to hang on to the multitude of information anymore. Anytime I need the key info, it is in my notes.
- Be physically active: I’d run, walk or do some chores around the house. Somehow when my body moves and when there is improved blood circulation, the capacity to deal with it also increases.
- Journal the emotions: I’d write down the feelings and emotions that got conveyed to me – or the ones I personally felt – in my diary. When I write it down, it allows me to see things more objectively and allows me to discard any negative emotions faster.
- Delete the unnecessary: I discard what’s not required from my brain using the meditation method that I do. Then brain gets cleared up and ready to receive the next batch of information. 😊
Hope this helps! 😊 I’m also leaving a link to the meditation in case anyone’s interested. Thank you! 💛